About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother of 7 and grandmother of 1. I have taught at PNC since 2000 and prior to that taught kindergarten for 9 years. Most recently I have become very interested in learning about environmental health issues and what I can do to make a difference.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Health Benefits of Massage Therapy

My husband and I just returned from our first ever cruise.  It was a wonderful way to celebrate our wedding anniversary and a great escape from our "In Like a Lion" March weather.  My husband loves, loves, loves, getting a massage and so of course on this excursion he enjoyed a luxurious massage right on the beach in Cozumel by a massage therapist.  I on the other hand am not that interested in massages so I thought I would do a little investigating to find out what the health benefits of massage therapy include.  According to the Mayo Clinic massage therapy is not only found in spas and upscale heath clubs but can be found at places of employment, clinics, hospitals, and even airports.  Massage can help us unwind but also can be helpful for:
  • Anxiety
  • Digestive disorders
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Headaches
  • Insomnia related to stress
  • Myofascial pain syndrome
  • Paresthesias and nerve pain
  • Soft tissue strains or injuries
  • Sports injuries
  • Temporomandibular joint pain

  • Do you know that massage has been practiced for thousands of years?  Today we have an option of choosing from 80 different types of massages.  The most common is a Swedish Massage but check out http://www.webmd.com/balance/massage-therapy-styles-and-health-benefits to learn about all the different types of massages available.

    I think on that next trip with my husband I should opt for a massage because you know You are Worth It!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment