About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother of 7 and grandmother of 1. I have taught at PNC since 2000 and prior to that taught kindergarten for 9 years. Most recently I have become very interested in learning about environmental health issues and what I can do to make a difference.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Mission  for this interest group is to discover, learn, and educate one another about the interaction between environmental toxins and women’s health, and empower and encourage women to be aware of the products they purchase and bring into their homes by becoming a savvy, aware consumer. This is a life-long journey in learning how to respect our beautiful bodies.

The purpose is to become knowledgeable about the products we smother on our skin, the foods we devour, and the surroundings in which we immerse ourselves. Through this group we will learn and teach one another about selecting simpler products for ourselves and our families.

Who knows we may even save some money by simplifying our purchases to create a more healthy environment for ourselves.

The group will begin with gathering online through this blog. We will meet face-to-face four times during the year beginning in the fall of 2012.  In the fall we will have our first face-to-face gathering and discuss Kristi Marsh's book Little Changes. I encourage you to visit www.choosewiser.com and become familiar with the work Kristi is doing in this area. You can also purchase her book if you need a copy. I have read the book and I LOVE IT! It is funny, memorable, and will definitely begin to educate you on the everday items we use on ourselves and our families.

I will post weekly items on this blog and I encourage you to interact as often as you are able to fit it into your schedule. Face-to-Face Meeting Schedule (these are the times we will gather and meet together)
Fall Book Study: Little Changes, by Kristi Marsh
Winter Body Treatments: Pamper yourself with homemade facials, lotions, and scrubs.
Spring: Chemical Free Cleaning
Summer: Planting the seeds of health Healthy Cooking Demo

Where The Purdue Room at University Village (right across from the PNC campus)

Date & Time To Be Determined

2 comments:

  1. I tried the soapberries we received at the spring luncheon. I'm really happy with them! I washed a quilt, then white socks, my scrubs from work and last a load of jeans. No added anything, not even fabric softener. The jeans are just as soft as if I'd used softener. I'm a convert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I have found I really like them. Do you know you can also put about 4 soapberries in a bucket of hot water and it is great for washing floors, countertops, etc. We even used it to clean the grill and it was great at cutting the grease.

    ReplyDelete